Skip to main content

Three month mark

Today was the 3 month mark since we lost Catherine. I'm not sure how I was supposed to feel today, other than sad. Throughout the last 3 months we have done what we needed to survive. I can tell you that 3 months later, it isn't any easier. 

By doing the bare minimum, lots of stuff has been neglected. Things like hair appointments and vision appointments and well checks for the kids didn't seem to be on the list of stuff that matters. We know that it matters but it just wasn't on the priority list. Most days it is just to get up, go to work, feed kids, and make it through with minimal meltdowns and panic attacks. After realizing that Charlie wasn't handling his grief well, we opted to take him to the pediatrician for some guidance. He admits that he is angry and sad. He told us that he hated life. Those are all red flags. He also swears that he sees a man walking around the house. So off to the doctor we went. I honestly expected them to tell me that he needed to be committed to a psych ward. Fortunately, this is all fairly common in kids his age that face a traumatic event. We have changed our plan on how we handle things with him and with some medical intervention, Charlie should be back on track. While at the doctor, Charlie failed his vision and hearing tests. Luckily we were able to get him into the eye doctor yesterday and his new glasses will be here next week. He is scheduled for further testing on his hearing. Today he got a haircut. At the 3 month mark, it is like we are starting to come out of our fog and realize that we still have stuff to do. Lucky for us, Josh and I work well together and we have tag teamed all the forgotten stuff. 

Today we received a box with a big bow on it. As soon as I opened it, I smiled. It came on the perfect day. It was from a friend and she put a bunch of random stuff in a box. Silly string for those days that seem too hard, an ornament for the Catherine tree, a bath bomb for some me time, a beautiful necklace, and a ticket to see the Christmas light show at the fairgrounds. As we ate dinner tonight, Josh and I decided we didn't want to be in the house tonight. So at the last minute we loaded all four boys up and headed to the fairgrounds to see the lights. Everyone's mood improved and you couldn't help but smile. Especially at Henry's reaction to the lights. It was a great gift and much needed. We even managed to get a photo with Santa. Henry was SUPER excited about his first visit with Santa. 






Three months seem like forever and no time at all. I miss my sweet girl so much. She would have loved the lights and Henry's reaction this year. It still seems so unreal but are moving forward and finding joy everywhere we can. Sometimes it is the bigger boys, or the baby, or a box of random stuff you find on your front porch. 

Comments

  1. Three months. That's when I realized we had better stop ordering pizza all the time because Lil would do the "eesha eesha eesha" dance every time someone came to the door, even if it wasn't the delivery guy.

    The fog began to lift at three months.

    I'm so happy you found joy today. Hooray for good friends who know just what you need.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Harsh Truth

In thirteen days, it will mark 4 years since Catherine died. How it can seem like it happened both yesterday and a lifetime ago continues to puzzle me. Four years later and I still struggle with accepting that it wasn’t my fault and that while I want to believe that I could save her, I’ve learned that I’m just not that powerful.  With this terrible milestone approaching, I sit here angry and doing everything in my power to not rage at parents that are spitting in the face of science and the experts that are desperately trying to save lives all because they believe they know what is best for their child. Sure, as parents we believe we know what is right for our children but we also rely on doctors, scientists, and research to ensure we are making the right decision. We are currently faced with a pandemic that went from affecting the older population and those with underlying health conditions a year ago to now affecting our children. I still see the same people saying that it is just th

Cause of death

This particular subject has been on my mind for quite a few days. My husband and I discussed it and while we felt the following needed to be said, we were afraid to send a different message. I've prayed about this post and I keep feeling pushed to write it. For starters, this is not about my daughter's cause of death. We do not know it. We plan on not finding out. When they call with the results, the only thing I want to know is if it is something that could happen to my boys. That is it. Knowing her cause of death won't bring me peace. It won't bring her back. It won't change anything. She will still be gone and my heart will still be torn into a million pieces. My sweet daughter died peacefully in her sleep. There are numerous ways she could have died in her sleep. Knowing won't bring her back. One of the first things I'm asked is what happened. I usually respond with something in regards to her passing in her sleep. One would think that should be th

The dreaded question, the awful statement, and unexpected gifts

The most dreaded question I'm asked each day is "How are you doing?" Prior to Catherine's death it wasn't a big deal. We are southerners and tend to be polite. Post Catherine's death it is my most dreaded question. I want to answer with "How the hell do you think I'm doing? My daughter died and I'm barely holding it together" or "What kind of dumb ass question is that?" or "I am miserable." Instead I answer in the best southern way with "I'm here" or my favorite "How are YOU doing" or "I'm good, thank you for asking." It feels like I'm lying but I don't want to make people uncomfortable and any of the answers I want to give are rude and irrational. I'm crabby and I hate to let it show around the people that care. At the end of the day, 80% of the time it is asked it is just small talk. The other 20% is from people that care. Regardless, I feel like I'm lying 100% of the