Skip to main content

Another Milestone

Today was a tough and emotional day. Normally it would have been a day of chaos, when Catherine was here. It was the Lebanon Christmas Parade, Recital Day, and Keyboards at Christmas at the church. Catherine participated in all three and it was an insane Sunday. We would grab her as soon as she got done with the parade, race to the recital, do a very quick change from uniform to recital dress. After the recital she would race with my mother to Keyboards at Christmas. All those events still took place but without Catherine, there was no stress or drama.

When we got to the recital, I grabbed a program and sat down. It was weird being in that church without Catherine. We always played the flute choir together at the end. Betty asked me last weekend if I was still going to play. My gut reaction was no but I decided to do it. By Monday, I was freaking out and did what any 36 year old grown woman would do, I called my sister and asked her to play with me up there. Betty told me that you can't cry while playing flute. I took that challenge tonight. Emily graciously agreed and having her with me was so comforting. I'm lucky to have such a kind and supportive sister. The boys played their piano pieces beautifully. Max was pretty upset about playing today and there were some tears but he pulled it together and sounded amazing. Charlie did so well too. I was fine until a piano duet playing Away in a Manager and Lullaby. It hit me that Catherine wouldn't be playing this recital and she wouldn't be playing at the Christmas Eve service. I fell apart. And then a sweet young man got up and played the flute for his portion of the recital. The tears kept flowing. And then it was time for the flute choir. Emily and I walked up there together, took our places, and played. I was good for the first verse but I fell apart playing the second verse.  When we got done, Emily and I looked at each other with tears in our eyes and running down our faces. My sister has been such a blessing to me through this entire thing and I wonder if I will ever be able to thank her properly. Having her with me tonight gave me a sense of calm that kept my tears from turning into a massive meltdown. I miss my girl so much. The entire recital was dedicated to my sweet Catherine.



Keyboards at Christmas was this evening and we couldn't do it. I wanted to but knew that there was no way I was going to make it through another emotional moment. The church dedicated their program to Catherine as well. Max went tonight with my mother and Jack. While Josh and I thought it was a bad idea, Max insisted he wanted to go. I was quite surprised when I got a photo from one of Catherine's friends and Max was in the photo with her. What an absolute blessing. Max loves Laramie and I know he is in good hands with her by his side tonight. The church told me they were going to record the program so that we could watch it when we were ready. As much as we wanted to go tonight, I think we made the right decision to come home and decompress.


I was prepared for Christmas and all that came with it but I didn't prepare for the music and Catherine's absence from that part. How I'm supposed to get through the band concert on the 8th, or Max's band and choir concert on the 12th, or even the Christmas Eve service at the church? One step at a time I suppose. But this is one milestone that I believe sucked the hardest.

Comments

  1. One moment at a time. Take them as they come, don't look ahead--it'll bring you to your knees.

    This was definitely the suckiest milestone. I'm so sorry.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I get by with a little help from my friends

So we survived our first holiday. It wasn't easy and I have had many moments of panic and sadness. I miss my girl so very much. There are moments that I still can't believe she is gone. I took the day off Wednesday to mentally prepare for the coming days. In years past, I would take off the day before Thanksgiving and Catherine and I would watch crappy Christmas movies until we ran out of time and raced around doing prep work for the holiday. This year, I spent the first half of the day watching crappy Christmas movies alone. Until Sandy came in and watched one with me. It helped with the anxiety and sadness of missing her. That afternoon, I picked up Katherine S. and she treated me to a massage. It was much needed and I felt more relaxed. Thursday morning the plan was to head over the Stranahan house in the morning to help prep. For some reason, I just couldn't get going. When we finally left, I had to swing by Sandy's house to drop something off. Another mother th...

Senior Picture

When Catherine died, I wept to my dear friend about all the things I was going to miss due to her death. Prom, concerts, marching band, senior pictures, graduation, and a million other things. She graciously offered to share her daughter, my daughter's best friend, for some of those events. And she did. This school year, their senior year, I've been to band concerts and band competitions. I've carried on the sticker tradition, bringing Julia a sticker from places we go, just like Catherine would. We've done birthdays and Thanksgiving. In turn, Julia (and so many of Catherine's other friends) have stepped up in so many ways. Whether it be a comforting hug, playing the role of big sister to my boys, including me in school gossip, or sharing stories about Catherine, these kids have brought so much love and comfort to our lives as we grieve the tremendous and profound loss of our daughter. So when Julia's mother handed me a framed photo and envelope the other day,...

Flee or See

We have all heard of "Fight or Flight" but this journey doesn't give that option very often. It is more of a "Flee or See" situation. When I am facing a situation that is going to cause anxiety, I have to decide if I'm going to flee the situation or see it through. I have had quite a few of these moments. When a song comes on that brings up memories of Catherine, I am faced with leaving the room or I can see it through and let the memories come over me. Sometimes I take it all in and see it through. When a song came on the other day that was our favorite, I wanted to flee and leave the room but instead I was able to see it through. I let the happy memories wash over me and while it was painful, the memories were nice. I'm faced with these situations daily. There are quite a few that I want to flee but I'm forced to see it through. Sometimes my mind wanders and I am taken to the morning I found her. The vision of her laying there in her bed brings...