Skip to main content

Saying Goodbye

In the beginning of this journey, I read everything I could find on grief. Each book said the same thing. It mentioned the many stages of grief and how it is a process one must go through. There was no hope. No guidance for the future. Reading those books, I could not imagine how I was supposed to live in this grieving process for the rest of my life. If this was how it was supposed to be, then I was going to be done on this earth. I spent my days, in a fog, just waiting to join Catherine one day. 

At one point, my grief got so bad that my husband, my doctor, and I all made an agreement that if I got to the point of no return, I would be honest and go willingly into a facility. By September 2018, I was actively looking for an inpatient facility because the pain was so incredibly intense. It was September 11, 2018 that I was informed that my position at Permobil was being eliminated. Oddly enough, it was a good feeling.

As I was trying to figure how to live this life of sadness and grief, while deciding what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, I picked up a book I had already read once. It is called "Permission to Mourn" by Tom Zuba. The first time I read it, I was only able to read one chapter at a time. This book was intense and it told me to do the exact opposite of what the other books said to do. 

One of my favorite lines in this books is, "If you are working with a therapist, counselor, social worker, grief expert, minister, priest, or anyone else who is trying to help you navigate the wilderness of grief and they start talking about the groundbreaking observations of Elizaboth Kubler-Ross, suggesting there is an orderly, predictable, unfolding of grief, please, please, please; do yourself a favor. Leave."

As I picked up the book a second time, I read it all in one night. And then I read it again and again and again. This Tom guy seemed to know what he was talking about. He had lost 2 children and his wife. But his ideas on grief were so different. He kept introducing "a new way to do grief" and I became very interested in what he had to say. His words made sense and suddenly, life didn't seem so hopeless. And soon enough, I moved onto his second book, "Becoming Radiant." It is described as the new way to do life following the death of a beloved. As I read his second book, it all suddenly made sense. I wasn't just grieving the loss of my daughter; I was grieving the loss of EVERYTHING. My life, my future, marriage, grand kids, graduations. I was grieving the loss of my life as it was with Catherine in it. Both the present and future. I was sitting around, waiting to join my daughter. I had to say goodbye to that life. It was no more. I had to accept that the life I had with Catherine, my career, my future I had planned, it was all gone. So I said goodbye. And then I decided to begrudgingly welcome my new life. 

Within a few weeks, I felt this tremendous weight lift off of me and my heart. For the first time in over a year, food tasted SO good. I was enjoying life again. My new life. I decided that my new life did not include working in a corporate environment, trying to break some glass ceiling and climb that corporate ladder. Nope, that was out. No longer an option. I started to throw myself into our foundation, Catherine's Orchestra for All. I started reaching out to schools and administrations. Before I knew it, we had an instrument petting zoo planned for the Lebanon City elementary schools! My work continued with the foundation, helping people and bringing joy. And suddenly my drifting in life, trying to figure out the next step, came to a sudden halt. I decided I wanted to work in the nonprofit field and help people. I turned it all over to God. 

Now, all this isn't to say that I don't get sad anymore. Trust me, I do. But it is less hopeless feeling. I've invited Catherine to grace me with her presence when she so desires. Sometimes I smell her so intensely that I could swear she was right next to me. In those moments, I fight the sadness and enjoy that brief moment of Catherine. I still bury my face in the clothes in her closet. Desperately inhaling her precious smell, knowing that one day it will be gone. But I also strive to find joy. I still tear up a little but I laugh often. I share her story, my story, and it doesn't hurt as intensely. I work with children, bringing them the love of music. I find joy in watching a child get excited as they play an instrument for the first time. I smile at the girls that resemble my Catherine in elementary school. The most joyous event so far was the day LHS band students/friends of Catherine, all showed up to volunteer for the foundation at the instrument petting zoo. 

I'm still a mom. And a wife. And a daughter and sister. I adore my friends and family. Especially the ones that are patient with me. There is still a version of me, tucked away inside, waiting to come out at exactly the right moment. Saying goodbye to that life I lived and had planned was the first real step in figuring out grief and this "process" that appears to have no end. If you have lost someone you love, I suggest reading both books by Tom Zuba. It isn't specific to spouse, sibling, child, or parent. It covers it all. This new way to do grief has very likely saved my life. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cause of death

This particular subject has been on my mind for quite a few days. My husband and I discussed it and while we felt the following needed to be said, we were afraid to send a different message. I've prayed about this post and I keep feeling pushed to write it. For starters, this is not about my daughter's cause of death. We do not know it. We plan on not finding out. When they call with the results, the only thing I want to know is if it is something that could happen to my boys. That is it. Knowing her cause of death won't bring me peace. It won't bring her back. It won't change anything. She will still be gone and my heart will still be torn into a million pieces. My sweet daughter died peacefully in her sleep. There are numerous ways she could have died in her sleep. Knowing won't bring her back. One of the first things I'm asked is what happened. I usually respond with something in regards to her passing in her sleep. One would think that should be th

Finding the "Sparklies"

Ten years ago our family faced a huge loss. My cousin's 5 year old daughter passed away. It was a shock for our whole family. I remember being terrified of losing my own children. Death seems to happen to everyone else but when it hits so close to home, it becomes very scary and real. I started reading her blog (and still do) and following her through her journey. When my Catherine died, my cousin couldn't get to me fast enough. She came to hold my hand as I was inducted as a member of the club that no mother wants to join. In reading her blog, she always lists "Sparklies" of her day. Hannah was fancy and loved all things fancy. Rachael and I like to think that our girls are hanging out together now. As a result, I had my first run in with "sparklies" since August 30th. With my goal of self care, I try to get a manicure and pedicure every few weeks. It is my time to sit and be still. No one bothers me and my usual nail girl doesn't chat, except to tell

The Issue of Bullying

Let me start by saying that I'm angry and I've thought about this post for some time. The issue has come up quite a bit the last week. A sweet soul left this earth and suddenly the parents of Wilson County decided to address the issue of bullying. They wanted to use my daughter's death as an example as well. The problem with that? My daughter didn't end her life because of bullying. She didn't even end her life. What the parents of this fine county did was exactly the thing they have been rallying against all week. To claim the cause of death of my daughter was suicide was a form of bullying. Especially since her parents don't even know the cause of death. Imagine waiting on that phone call and seeing everyone running with misinformation while you are still coming to terms with your child's death and knowing that eventual phone call with the cause of death is coming. Did you know it takes 8-14 weeks to get back a cause of death? We are 6 weeks into this and