Skip to main content

Opening wounds and loving the living

A coworker passed away this past Friday. It was sudden and shocking. He and his wife both worked at Permobil and so we all felt the pain deeply. Not just for the loss of the coworker, but for his wife. Our company is a close one. When one hurts, we all hurt. We show up for each other.

When the news broke that Catherine had died, it wasn't 20 minutes later that coworkers started showing up at my house. They have loved me and cared for me and watched me cry and watched me yell and then laugh and then get really drunk. They were part of the light in our darkest hour. They hauled off trash and brought food and booze and more food and more booze. They have offered their offices when I came back if I ever needed space. They have hugged me and asked what I needed. They have helped me get photos and videos off Catherine's iPhone. My coworkers have made my work a safe place. A happy place.

When I got the news of the passing of my coworker, my thoughts went straight to his wife. I'm not ready to visit another grieving family. I'm still grieving myself and some days I'm good to get out of bed and get dressed. It feels selfish but I'm of no use to anyone in the same position as myself. While I don't know her grief, I do know grief. It feels helpless being a person who wants to help but can't. I did what I could and made sure she got my number. She called last night and we chatted for a bit. About how she was feeling, things to come, and other stuff that isn't included in the non-existent guidebook for when someone suddenly dies. All the stuff that no one told me. As painful as the conversation was, it was nice to feel like a helper.

Up until yesterday I was remiss to reach out to parents who had lost a child. I felt like I was opening their wounds all over again. Knowing my own pain, I didn't want to make someone else feel like me by reliving their pain. But after speaking with my coworker, I realized why these women have made themselves available to me. Because they know. Because they went through it. They get my pain and while I know it hurts to talk about it, it has to be a bit cathartic.

So when my coworker comes back to work, she will be loved. And hugged. And supported. We grieve for the one that died but we have to remember to love the living. They are the ones that need it. The deceased don't know how we feel after they die. They are in a better place. We have to focus on the ones that are left to go on. They need the love and light and support. I'm blessed that I work with people that love the living. And when my coworker comes back, she will be just as loved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I get by with a little help from my friends

So we survived our first holiday. It wasn't easy and I have had many moments of panic and sadness. I miss my girl so very much. There are moments that I still can't believe she is gone. I took the day off Wednesday to mentally prepare for the coming days. In years past, I would take off the day before Thanksgiving and Catherine and I would watch crappy Christmas movies until we ran out of time and raced around doing prep work for the holiday. This year, I spent the first half of the day watching crappy Christmas movies alone. Until Sandy came in and watched one with me. It helped with the anxiety and sadness of missing her. That afternoon, I picked up Katherine S. and she treated me to a massage. It was much needed and I felt more relaxed. Thursday morning the plan was to head over the Stranahan house in the morning to help prep. For some reason, I just couldn't get going. When we finally left, I had to swing by Sandy's house to drop something off. Another mother th...

Senior Picture

When Catherine died, I wept to my dear friend about all the things I was going to miss due to her death. Prom, concerts, marching band, senior pictures, graduation, and a million other things. She graciously offered to share her daughter, my daughter's best friend, for some of those events. And she did. This school year, their senior year, I've been to band concerts and band competitions. I've carried on the sticker tradition, bringing Julia a sticker from places we go, just like Catherine would. We've done birthdays and Thanksgiving. In turn, Julia (and so many of Catherine's other friends) have stepped up in so many ways. Whether it be a comforting hug, playing the role of big sister to my boys, including me in school gossip, or sharing stories about Catherine, these kids have brought so much love and comfort to our lives as we grieve the tremendous and profound loss of our daughter. So when Julia's mother handed me a framed photo and envelope the other day,...

Flee or See

We have all heard of "Fight or Flight" but this journey doesn't give that option very often. It is more of a "Flee or See" situation. When I am facing a situation that is going to cause anxiety, I have to decide if I'm going to flee the situation or see it through. I have had quite a few of these moments. When a song comes on that brings up memories of Catherine, I am faced with leaving the room or I can see it through and let the memories come over me. Sometimes I take it all in and see it through. When a song came on the other day that was our favorite, I wanted to flee and leave the room but instead I was able to see it through. I let the happy memories wash over me and while it was painful, the memories were nice. I'm faced with these situations daily. There are quite a few that I want to flee but I'm forced to see it through. Sometimes my mind wanders and I am taken to the morning I found her. The vision of her laying there in her bed brings...