Skip to main content

The many faces of depression

Catherine and I watched "13 Reasons Why" when it first hit Netflix. I remember looking at Kate Walsh's character and thinking she looked like hell. Hollywood tends to make depression stereotypical in its portrayal. Greasy hair, bleary eyes, grayish, laying around, and just looking like they have given up on life. 

For the real world, that isn't what depression looks like. Some people silently suffer from depression and no one ever really knows. Some people look a bit like Eeyore. But it isn't always like they make it in the movies. Like the Kate Walsh character, I too lost my daughter. The day after Catherine died, I asked my sister to cut my hair short. I didn't want the greasy ponytail look like I saw in the movies. I got waterproof mascara because I figured I would be crying all the time and bleary eyed. Yeah, none of that happened. Instead, I got up, fixed my hair, didn't put on any makeup, and went on about my day. 

People tell me all the time that I have it together and they don't know how I manage. Here is a little secret, I don't have it together. In fact, I am a hot mess. I've been through numerous medications to fight the depression. The first round (month one) made me want to drive my car off the road and I constantly wondered what was the point in living if I was going to feel like that all the time.   My doctor changed my medicine and while I didn't want to drive my car off the road all the time, I still contemplated it. That was month two. At my next visit she upped my medicine and I can say that in month three, the feeling to drive my car off the road has subsided. But I am still a mess. Just because I don't walk around with greasy hair and bleary eyes, crying all the time, doesn't mean I'm okay. 

Every morning I fight the urge to call in sick. I fight the urge to turn off my alarm and hide under the covers. I fight to brush my teeth and shower. I can't tell you the last time I wore makeup. Finding something to wear is a struggle and some days, I want to give up and climb back in bed. Waiting for the baby to be brought down or hearing movement upstairs is enough to make me want to vomit. I absolutely HATE going upstairs in the morning. It terrifies me and will cause a major panic attack. Some how I manage to get everyone out the door without coming unglued and the walk from the parking lot to the office seems to take forever. Most days I can't focus and I'm grateful for a boss that keeps me on track. Some days I want to just leave but I manage to push through. The depression is real. 

Depression is having a dining room table full of half finished projects and no motivation to finish. Depression is having messes all over your house. Depression is eating everything in sight and then not eating at all. It isn't just the greasy hair and bleary eyes. It affects everything. How I interact with my kids, going out into public, holidays, visiting with friends or family. Everything just seems too damn hard. The medications definitely helps me push through but it is a battle every single day. 

For some reason today was hard. Like really hard. I lost count of how many times I started to cry. The boys have their recital on Sunday. The first one without Catherine. Max has a band concert and choir concert coming up. Christmas is coming. It is all coming so fast and it is like drinking water out of a fire hose. The grief and depression is all consuming. But I will push through. I will be there for the recital and the concerts and Christmas. Because I'm needed. 

Depression has so many faces. I wear a lot of them. But just because I am smiling or laugh at a joke, doesn't mean I'm not sad and filled with grief. I'm a mess. It is one day at a time and right now that seems like a lifetime of pain. I watch others who have lost a child and I gain hope that at some point their grief seems to ease and they find some level of comfort. But in the meantime, I'm going to keep wearing all those faces and pushing through.

Comments

  1. Hugs

    "You're so strong" is a huge trigger for me. It absolutely pisses me off. I'm NOT strong you moron. I'm grieving and doing what I HAVE to do to survive.

    People say stupid crap because they don't know what else to say. I forgive them, but secretly want to scream at them.

    *sigh*

    One day at a time. One hour, one minute, one second. Do what you need to. And, breathe. Sometimes that's the most critical piece of all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Harsh Truth

In thirteen days, it will mark 4 years since Catherine died. How it can seem like it happened both yesterday and a lifetime ago continues to puzzle me. Four years later and I still struggle with accepting that it wasn’t my fault and that while I want to believe that I could save her, I’ve learned that I’m just not that powerful.  With this terrible milestone approaching, I sit here angry and doing everything in my power to not rage at parents that are spitting in the face of science and the experts that are desperately trying to save lives all because they believe they know what is best for their child. Sure, as parents we believe we know what is right for our children but we also rely on doctors, scientists, and research to ensure we are making the right decision. We are currently faced with a pandemic that went from affecting the older population and those with underlying health conditions a year ago to now affecting our children. I still see the same people saying that it is just th

Cause of death

This particular subject has been on my mind for quite a few days. My husband and I discussed it and while we felt the following needed to be said, we were afraid to send a different message. I've prayed about this post and I keep feeling pushed to write it. For starters, this is not about my daughter's cause of death. We do not know it. We plan on not finding out. When they call with the results, the only thing I want to know is if it is something that could happen to my boys. That is it. Knowing her cause of death won't bring me peace. It won't bring her back. It won't change anything. She will still be gone and my heart will still be torn into a million pieces. My sweet daughter died peacefully in her sleep. There are numerous ways she could have died in her sleep. Knowing won't bring her back. One of the first things I'm asked is what happened. I usually respond with something in regards to her passing in her sleep. One would think that should be th

Finding the "Sparklies"

Ten years ago our family faced a huge loss. My cousin's 5 year old daughter passed away. It was a shock for our whole family. I remember being terrified of losing my own children. Death seems to happen to everyone else but when it hits so close to home, it becomes very scary and real. I started reading her blog (and still do) and following her through her journey. When my Catherine died, my cousin couldn't get to me fast enough. She came to hold my hand as I was inducted as a member of the club that no mother wants to join. In reading her blog, she always lists "Sparklies" of her day. Hannah was fancy and loved all things fancy. Rachael and I like to think that our girls are hanging out together now. As a result, I had my first run in with "sparklies" since August 30th. With my goal of self care, I try to get a manicure and pedicure every few weeks. It is my time to sit and be still. No one bothers me and my usual nail girl doesn't chat, except to tell