Skip to main content

What was lost, now is found....sort of

When Catherine died we immediately started taking inventory of her stuff. We found her car keys, wallet, backpack, and other items that could give us clues as to what happened. She had done her laundry the night before, she left her band bag in the car since she had late practice, she brought her backpack in and did her homework. The one thing we couldn't find were all her flutes. It stressed us out. They were her prized possession.

When I started band many, many years ago, my parents got me a flute. It was a Selmer and pretty nice. It was the flute that I learned on until my parents bought me a REALLY nice flute. When Catherine started playing the flute, I gave her my Selmer. It made sense. Through the years, my dad bought her a Baldwin that played better than the Selmer. On her 15th birthday he bought her the same REALLY nice flute that he got me at that age, and on her 16th birthday my dad bought her a piccolo. That is a total of 4 flutes and a piccolo in this house. Initially we only found the Baldwin and the piccolo. A few days later we found the REALLY nice flute in her car. But the Selmer was missing. We asked the band director and other band kids if it was in the band room. We searched her room. We searched the house. It was no where to be found. The whole situation stressed me out and made me so sad. See, despite having all those nicer flutes, she still played that Selmer. I like to think it meant something to her.

This week I was reminded that Catherine had done a fundraiser a few months back and had sold some items for band. So I checked with her best friend to see if they had received the orders. They apparently came in weeks ago. Julia promised she would look into it on Thursday. Julia and Catherine were two peas in a pod and of course that sweet child forgot to check on the fundraiser items. She remembered today and let me know that she had them. I also reminded her about the flute. I described the case again and Julia went on a mission to find it. Soon after I received a photo of the flute. She found it. I got the message in the middle of a meeting and burst into tears. What was lost was found. And she had Catherine's band photo. I ran out of work to the High School because I needed my hands on that flute. I wasn't going to let it get lost again. When I walked in the band room, Julia was waiting for me and handed me the flute. I teared up a little. And then I saw her band photo. Catherine was in her uniform, holding her piccolo, with that huge smile that made her eyes disappeared. It was the photo of one happy child. My child.

While what was lost, now is found, nothing everything is found. I have found that I was losing myself. The last 2 months have been me going through the motions. I've been here but not present. I've felt so lost. My role in this house has completely changed. My goals have changed. It is no longer about raising a teenager into a successful woman. It is no longer about getting her into college. That was my life. It was all about Catherine. I'm lost. And during all this, I'm fighting this grief personality. This horrible personality that is fighting to take over. But I'm fighting back even harder.

I'm back to sewing again. It was a struggle and very scary but I did it. The last 48 hours have produced 2 complete outfits. Charlie sat with me for the first outfit and kept me company like Catherine would. Henry and I played with power tools and he learned to use a staple gun. Max is coming to me with girl problems and issues with his hair. I feel like I've been in a coma and I'm starting to wake up a little.

So while we found that missing flute, we are still working to find ourselves.

Comments

  1. I am not the person I was before. I'm irretrievably changed. Not broken. But different. I'm not a grief persona. Nor am I the innocent Pollyanna who saw only sunshine and rainbows. I'm stronger than I ever thought I was or knew I could be. I'm not better. I'm not worse. I'm pieces of the "old" me, but new and different. Learning to be comfortable with that was really hard.

    I hope that makes sense.

    And, I'm so so so glad the flute was found. And the sewing. HUGE HUGE HUGE milestone. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Harsh Truth

In thirteen days, it will mark 4 years since Catherine died. How it can seem like it happened both yesterday and a lifetime ago continues to puzzle me. Four years later and I still struggle with accepting that it wasn’t my fault and that while I want to believe that I could save her, I’ve learned that I’m just not that powerful.  With this terrible milestone approaching, I sit here angry and doing everything in my power to not rage at parents that are spitting in the face of science and the experts that are desperately trying to save lives all because they believe they know what is best for their child. Sure, as parents we believe we know what is right for our children but we also rely on doctors, scientists, and research to ensure we are making the right decision. We are currently faced with a pandemic that went from affecting the older population and those with underlying health conditions a year ago to now affecting our children. I still see the same people saying that it is just th

Cause of death

This particular subject has been on my mind for quite a few days. My husband and I discussed it and while we felt the following needed to be said, we were afraid to send a different message. I've prayed about this post and I keep feeling pushed to write it. For starters, this is not about my daughter's cause of death. We do not know it. We plan on not finding out. When they call with the results, the only thing I want to know is if it is something that could happen to my boys. That is it. Knowing her cause of death won't bring me peace. It won't bring her back. It won't change anything. She will still be gone and my heart will still be torn into a million pieces. My sweet daughter died peacefully in her sleep. There are numerous ways she could have died in her sleep. Knowing won't bring her back. One of the first things I'm asked is what happened. I usually respond with something in regards to her passing in her sleep. One would think that should be th

Finding the "Sparklies"

Ten years ago our family faced a huge loss. My cousin's 5 year old daughter passed away. It was a shock for our whole family. I remember being terrified of losing my own children. Death seems to happen to everyone else but when it hits so close to home, it becomes very scary and real. I started reading her blog (and still do) and following her through her journey. When my Catherine died, my cousin couldn't get to me fast enough. She came to hold my hand as I was inducted as a member of the club that no mother wants to join. In reading her blog, she always lists "Sparklies" of her day. Hannah was fancy and loved all things fancy. Rachael and I like to think that our girls are hanging out together now. As a result, I had my first run in with "sparklies" since August 30th. With my goal of self care, I try to get a manicure and pedicure every few weeks. It is my time to sit and be still. No one bothers me and my usual nail girl doesn't chat, except to tell